Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Maureen Dowd

All the people I loved reading, I can't read any more. Martin Amis (gone to seed). Christopher Hitchens (for his views and his increased portentousness and carbuncular prose). And now Maureen Dowd. I can hardly believe I'm saying this, For the past couple of years, her column has been as necessary as a cup of strong coffee. She's been piercing, witty, spot-on, reducing complex arguments to a hilarious throwaway line or pun.

But now I've gone right off her. And it's mostly because I disagree with her, but also because the prose I once found sharp and funny, I now find to be trite and corny. And her flirtage with Barack Obama is more out there than Obama Girl on You Tube. And I know she wasn't a fan of Bubba's. But by God, you can almost see the scratch marks appear on the screen every time she refers to Kill Hill.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The tie, Harry, the tie. Oh why, oh why.

Harry McGee said...

It was a biteen green alright. Would have preferred to wear an Aer Arann geansaí (the new Galway jersey) but unfortunately we have to wear the unifrom.

Unknown said...

Green? It looked like a radiation spill, there again I've never mastered the dressing for telly business either.

I thought Vincent was a little miffed that you had the gall to raise the Spitzer story which frankly was much more News like. I must admit I'm warming to the regularity and the timing of News Tonight but some of the format could use tightening.